$5 million-dollar pledge from Glenda and Russell Gordy will match all new donations to $30.5 million-dollar capital campaign
HOUSTON, Jan. 11, 2018 /PRNewswire/ — Stages Repertory Theatre announces plans for its new three-theatre campus, named in recognition of a transformational gift from Houston philanthropists Glenda and Russell Gordy. The Gordys have pledged to match every new donation to Staging Our Future: A Transformational Campaign for Stages, dollar for dollar, up to $5 million, making this one of the largest individual gifts in the history of Houston’s performing arts community. Once the match is fulfilled, this gift will complete the $30.5 million capital campaign in support of the theatre’s visionary strategic plan, including construction of its new 66,850-square-foot campus. In recognition of this legacy commitment, the new campus will be named The Gordy.
“The Gordy will transform the way Houstonians experience and think about theatre,” Stages Artistic Director Kenn McLaughlin said. “We are building the kinds of spaces that don’t currently exist anywhere in our region. Our focus from the beginning has been to enhance what we know defines us—the incredible intimacy that our patrons and artists love—and to dramatically expand our technical, design and production capacities to elevate that experience to new heights.”
Groundbreaking for the new campus located at 800 Rosine Street, located one block south of the theatre’s current Allen Parkway location, is planned for summer 2018. Opening of the new campus is slated for the 2019-2020 Season. Designs for The Gordy will embrace Stages’ hallmark sense of intimacy and personal connection between artists and audiences while providing the opportunity to build advanced, state-of-the-art performance spaces, improve patron amenities, and solve existing parking, facility and production challenges. With this achievement, Stages will, at last, have facilities that are equal in quality to the performances it brings to its audiences.
When completed, The Gordy will include:
- Three intimate performance spaces: the 253-seat Thrust Stage, the 227-seat Arena Stage, and a new Warehouse Stage with flexible seating configurations for up to 138 people;
- Rehearsal studios, production shops and administrative offices, along with expanded space for Stages’ growing education and community engagement programs;
- Flexible event, meeting and work spaces available for use not only by Stages staff and artists, but also by the community as a whole;
- An attractive pedestrian plaza and green space with the capacity for outdoor events;
- Space available for potential future development serving additional local arts and culture organizations; and
- A tiered parking structure with ample space for artists and patrons as well as parking for other neighborhood businesses and amenities.
“Stages has been a consistent part of our lives over the past four decades,” Russell Gordy explains. “This gift is an investment in the future of Stages, in the development of emerging arts professionals, and in a neighborhood we care deeply about.”
Architectural design of the new facility is led by acclaimed global firm Gensler, with theatre design by internationally recognized theatre consultant Charcoalblue. Houston-based real estate developer Hines helped guide development of the master plan for Stages’ expanded campus. Construction management will be provided by Forney Construction. Engineering firm Walter P Moore also contributed to the project.
For more information visit www.stagestheatre.com. For more information on The Gordy visit https://thegordy.com/